Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo box design question

Status
Not open for further replies.

03Explorer

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
US
I was looking at thread (Thread)

And an image Oxicottin posted 10 Feb 16 17:01 (Example)

I want to create a Multi-Select using the check boxes approach and the main box displays the values captured, but behind the scenes I want to capture the PrimaryKey for each item to be stored for table populating. Where can I find how to make this? The values in the Multi-Select is to be populated by a query that is triggered from three other fields the user selects prior.

If this works for my initial objective, I am considering for a second use within the same form (to save space).

Thanks!!

Here is what I found out from my search today...

By creating a table with a field defined as a lookup (based on a query I put together) with Allow Multiple Values set to YES. I get a drop down that looks like what I am after. However what I want to do is not have the field in a table. I want to have a field in a form that allows multiple selections (with check boxes/ and not having to hold control key down to select many). Each selected value I will process into a new row of a different table.

So I feel like I am getting closer to a solution.

Here is the plan (I am working on a form to populate two tables

Code:
tblAdHoc
========
aID - (autoNumber) PK for 2nd table GroupingID (one to many)
PracticeID - 1-7 value
ChildAssociateID
ParentAssociateID

tblServiceTypes
===============
aID - autoNumber
GroupingID - FK to 1st table (many to one)
SkillTypeID - 1 or 2
ServiceTypeID - aID from Multi-Select combo box on form (English names are displayed)

Code:
tblAdHoc (Moc Data)

aID    PracticeID     ChildAssociateID     ParentAssociateID
---    ----------     ----------------     -----------------
3          7              XYZABC               ZDE34R
4          7              NNE34R               HLNDS3
5          11             KDEFGH               MEWRHF
6          11             AGHADS               APOHUF

Code:
tblServiceTypes
aID    GroupingID    SkillTypeID       ServiceTypeID
---    ----------    -----------       -----------------
1          3               1                43
2          4               1                21
3          4               1                14
4          4               1                15
5          4               1                16
6          5               1                24
7          5               1                43
8          6               1                36
9          6               1                51
10         7               1                53

What I want to do is populate table2 with a single field on a form where a user clicks drop down and all options that I have filtered out for them to select from (based on 3 fields on the form). Also I want a value for ALL (to populate table 2 with all options given, so the user does not have to click each line item.

Am I asking for a task too large for Access?

Try searching for cascading comboboxes or listboxes as sounds like you want to filter items based on previous selections from listboxes, comboboxes or checkboxes.

Thanks sxschech, but what I want is a listbox or combobox that the user can select multiple from without using the Control button to select more than one. The listbox/combobox needs to be filtered from three comboboxes to get it's filtering criteria.

The outcome needs to be captured of each selected option in the multiple box in a table where each selected item is generating a row of data.

Cascading is the part of the form I already understand. I need an option where the filtering criteria allow the end user to see specific options that only pertain to those selected filters. It could contain any number from 3 to 15 options.

Is this even possible if the form is not bound to a table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back