Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

combining text wrap and hanging indent??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

queenof2day

Technical User
Jan 12, 2006
CA
ok... i'm by no means an expert user, but i'm not a newbie any more.. and this one stumps me.

HOW do i maintain a hanging indent in a style when introducing a text wrapped object near that paragraph?

What happens? for example - bullet list... aligned with a first line & left indent that allow for text to align at the .5" tab, with the bullet outside the margin - normal bullet list setup... BUT, if i put a graphic or callout text box beside said list, the tabs do not automatically adjust and then i'm left with >>
• text text text
texttext text text
• text text text
texttext text text

instead of
• text text text
texttext text text
• text text text
texttext text text

do i really HAVE to create a whole new style just for that instance??? it can't really be THAT complex, can it? that will require a TON of manual labour as this book project progresses... so there MUST be a better way.

please help.
millions of thanks in advance.

Are you on a Mac? Hope so, cuz I don't know if this works on a PC or if it's a different command.

Put your cursor to the left of the first word and type apple key plus "\" key. It will make the rest of the sentence align at that point, thereby creating a hanging indent.

BRILLIANT

i'm actually on PC, but CTRL+\ did the trick.
And, after much frustration & searching i did find another post in here (sorry, don't recall who by) who mentioned the "indent to here" command... which i had never seen before... but i have now found that too (in PC - right click, "insert special character"... it's near the bottom).

This is gonna save me a TON of frustration.

THANK YOU!

Ok I knew that answer - BUT I am having issues with the spacing between the bullet and the text when the image's text wrap pushes the bullets. I tried to change the tracking and the kerning to no avail - is there a way to fix this?

* asdlflasdj

but with picture

* asdlflasdj

HTH to explain. Any help would be appreciated.

InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Acrobat 7
Windows XP & MAC OS X (Yes I Use Both, Not at the Same Time)

Try inserting a white space (or combination of), such as em (Shift+Ctrl+M), en (Shift+Ctrl+N) or any of the other white space under Type/Insert White Character. Then insert "indent to here" command. That seems to hold the spacing with a runaround.

I did - it seemed to work ok - not good enough for my strict manager, but I ended up just setting up a new style guide that fixed the situation for now. Thanks for you input :)

InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Acrobat 7
Windows XP & MAC OS X (Yes I Use Both, Not at the Same Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back