Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

combining pantone colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomschool

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
US
I need some quick help. I am designing a logo in Illustrator 8 using two Pantone colors. My question is this: How do I mix these two pantone colors to come up with a third color that is simply 50% of the first Pantone color and 30% of the second Pantone color? Thanks.

Is this going to be a gradent? if so then drag the pantone swatch over to the gradent slider change the value then repeat with the other color and slider.
If this is a shape of some kind then maybe you should place one on top of the other and tell your printer to overprint it.
Just having it overprint in Illustrator will not work the rips the printers use are set to ignore overprint settings.
Hope this helps.

Thom

Life without challenges can be very boring

Here's another way to do it:

Color your object in the first color, then open the Appearance palette. In the fly out menu, select Add New Fill, choose the second color, then check 'Overprint Fill' in the Attributes panel. Finally, make sure View > Overprint Preview is checked.

The beauty of this is that you can select either color in the appearance palette and adjust the percentages. You can also drag it onto the style palette and reuse it throughout your document.

Incidently, I've never had problems with overprint in Illustrator. Quite the opposite - I've seen plenty of files with white set to overprint, and designers wondering why nothing came out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back