Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combining Crystal Reports output into one file

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristal9

Programmer
Feb 15, 2007
US
Hi,

I have CR2008. I currently have one report that based on a parameter selection will produce five different result sets. The report will run on a schedule for each parameter to produce 5 separate instances exported as txt files.

Is there a way to have all five combined into 1 txt file for use by the user?

Why not group on the field value you are setting the parameter to, and then limit the report to the five instances, either hard-coding them in the select statement or using a multi-value parameter?

-LB

Or build a container report and enter 5 copies of your report as a Subreport and set different parameter for each one.

Ian

Hi LB,

thank you for your reply. the report parameter is actually used to perform the grouping by dimension, not select it. the BW query will limit data to 15 month. the CR Parameter will simply sum up and measure by the specific parameter.

if for example the total sum of measure for the query is 100 and the parameter is ?Person then it will show LB with 75 and Kristal with 25. If the parameter selected is country it would show Canada =60, US = 20 and Mexico =20... etc. So there can be only one group.

I think we've decided to just load the the 5 txt files individually.

Just in case you decide to try again to combine the text files.
As IanWaterman suggested you can add 5 reports as subreports. This will take just few minutes. Import the report to each of the subreports and link the parameters.
How you are going to use the result text file ? Obviously there will be some records for contries and some for people. It might be hard to distinguish the sections.

Viewer, scheduler and report manager for Crystal reports and SSRS.
Send your report everywhere.

Hi.. i actually just say Ian and your suggestion. Yep. It's the great idea. but because the report contains 3 sub reports I can't imbed them into a frame report as sub reports themselves.

You can probably use a 3rd party tool. Some of the viewers listed on Ken Hamady's website can join result files from multiple reports (list is available here : There are free options so no purchase is necessary.
You can see a sample use in this video:
- Select "Jobs(complex reports)" in the menu or jump to position 12:30.
(The sample is for Excel)

What are you going to do with the result file ? Are you going to import it , send it , save it as a backup ... ?

Viewer, scheduler and report manager for Crystal reports and SSRS.
Send your report everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back