Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combining bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogen

Programmer
Feb 12, 2003
CA
Does anyone know if it's possible to combine the bandwidth of multiple DSL connections?

The only good solution for this I have ever seen is the Nexland Turbo router.

It works fine for this. Better hurry though as Symantec has purchased Nexland and it is unclear if the router products will be continued.

are some dual WAN routers,I have not tried them, I used a webramp to do so on 56k modems, I bet it is not the same!

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Great stuff jimbo, I have not revisited this issue in several months and nearly all of these products were not available.

I suspect the Symantec purchase of Nexland has opened the market. Some of these are only "fail-over", but some promise much more. I have only in my practice used the Nexland and have been pleased.

Best,
Bill

Greetings Cogen,

Your question has to be one of the most popular ones we get on a weekly basis. The answers you have received are quite good.

Just make sure to keep in mind that ADSL connections can not be bonded (to effectively double) your download and upload speed, but rather will allow you to "load-balance" your connections, meaning to allow you to spread the bandwidth more evenly across your network; creating less of a bottleneck.

I also strongly recommend getting your ADSL lines from different providers (make sure their backbones are different), because most of the suggested routing products will also permit you to have a "redundancy set-up" - in case one of your lines fail.

You may also like to look into the "Janus RX" router, which will accept up to 3 independant Ethernet connections.

Best of luck,

Bdahl

Thanks very much for the advise guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back