Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combining 2 T1 lines on Cisco 3600 series router Help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2005
US
Hello all, the contractor that was helping me left before he could finished the task of combining 2 T1 at a co-location into a single pipe. We are connected from our office to the co-location router using another Cisco 3600 router. My boss is asking me to proceed with the task but I have very little experience working on Cisco routers. Can someone help in, if you can provide detail help, on how to go about doing that.

Can I do the task remotely?

What test should I run to make sure that the changes are made?

Thank you all for reading and for your help.

Best regards,

Richard

With very little experience, I wouldn't suggest trying to do this yourself. That contractor walked off without finishing the job. He shouldn't be paid until he comes back and completes the task which he is being paid for.

Thanks cdiross. He got paid for other things that he was working one and when I mentioned this task he told me that he no longer want to do it and just left.

Can you or someone else suggest a good reliable Cisco/Network contractors in the San Jose, CA area?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Richard

I'm in the UK - I will quite happily do this for free (but you would need to pay my expenses...)

Andy

..how are the t-1's being delivered to your location? frame, point to point?

...is your service provider providing you with a device that will bundle the t-1's (like a dl-3800) or are you just takeing two t-1's from local carrier into two seperate wic cards...and need the router to do it...if this is the case..what wic cards are you using in your router..

if point to point check out link below

..if frame check out link below...

CCNP,CCSP,MCSE,Sec+,Net+,A+...

Hi guys, thanks for the post and the humor, much appreciated.

DanInRaleigh, thanks for your post. Before I go and answer your question, I would like to add more clarification to my post because I am sorry I forgot to mention that we are up and running but only one of the T1 is been used. The other is just, I guess, hanging around. When the consultant left he never documented what he did.

The T1s are from at&t. DanInRaleigh, how can I find out if the T1s are frame or point to point? Is there a command I can run from the router to get that or how do I get that info?

From what I remembered, both T1s are connected to the router in our co-location to both csu/dsu. I think what needs to be done is to do it at the router.

Thank you DanInRaleigh for your help.

Regards,

Richard

..log in the router ..and do a "show run"

..you want to look under the interface that the t1 is plugged in and see something like the below..

interface Serial4/2
ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.248
encapsulation frame-relay

..or you might see

interface Serial4/2
ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.248
encapsulation ppp

find out what the encapsulation is..

also do a (show ip interface brief) to show what interfaces are up...to get a general idea of what interfaces are up and what ip addresses are assighned...

external-gw#show ip interface brief
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
Ethernet0 192.168.2.1 YES NVRAM up up
Serial0 unassigned YES unset up up
Serial0.1 192.168.1.1 YES unset up up
Serial1 unassigned YES unset down down

CCNP,CCSP,MCSE,Sec+,Net+,A+...

DanInRaleigh, thank you very much for you post back. I will try that and post back. You and the rest on this forum ROCKS!

Regards,

Richard

Hi DanInRaleigh, here is what I got from the "show run".

interface Serial0/0
ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0
no fair-queue

interface Serial0/1
ip address 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0
service-module t1 clock source internal

On Serial0/1, I remembered when he was testing using that IP from the co-location back to our office. He also mentioned that the router would acquire the IP on Serial0/0. Is that true, I guess it is because we are up and running.

I am pretty sure that our T1s from at&t coming into our co-location's router are point to point.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi DanInRaleigh, sorry, I forgot to post the show ip interface listing. Here it is.
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
FastEthernet0/0 192.168.100.1 YES NVRAM up up
Serial0/0 192.168.100.1 YES manual up up
FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down
Serial0/1 192.168.200.2 YES manual up up
Virtual-Access1 unassigned YES TFTP down down

Thanks,

Richard

i think this may be what your looking for...
Configuring Multilink PPP
use this as an example or template..same concept but just configure two interfaces

Here is a config example for MultilinkPPP. Be careful with the bandwidth statements because you have to remove the 8 byte overhead. So
1544 - 8 = 1536. Then on the multilink interface you have to add up all of the serial interfaces. I think in this case I rounded down from 6144 to 6140.

Just move your S0/0 ip address to the multilink interface and reconfigure the other interfaces for multilink ppp.

################################
3745 Head End Configuration
!
interface Multilink1
description Montgomery Rd.
bandwidth 6140
ip address 155.254.81.1 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache cef
no ip mroute-cache
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ipx network 81
multilink-group 1
!
interface Serial0/0
description Montgomery Rd. Multilink
bandwidth 1536
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache cef
no fair-queue
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!
interface Serial1/2
bandwidth 1536
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache cef
no fair-queue
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!
interface Serial1/3
bandwidth 1536
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache cef
no fair-queue
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!
interface Serial2/0
bandwidth 1536
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache cef
no fair-queue
ppp multilink
multilink-group 1
!

Thank you MauricioD. It "looks" simple enough when someone else has done it already, much appreciated.

Since I only have 2 Serial interfaces, I should multiply by 2 and come out with 3072, rounding down, 3070.

Any pitfall I should be aware of?

How do I test to be sure that I have done it correctly?

If everything tested ok, how do I save it.

Sorry about all the questions, but I am a little nervous and just want to get an experience person second opinion.

Thanks a lot!

Richard

Since I only have 2 Serial interfaces, I should multiply by 2 and come out with 3072, rounding down, 3070.
sure 3070 looks good

Any pitfall I should be aware of?
make sure boths side are configured like this

How do I test to be sure that I have done it correctly?
press ctrl z (takes you back to enable)
try to ping across but DO NOT type "wr" in enable mode

If everything tested ok, how do I save it.
first check to see if it works, if it doesnt and you cant reconfigure it back to the way it was reload the router and say no to save config...but if it works fine then type "wr" to save it

Mauricio
MCP, MCSE, SMS 2.0, DCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE Written

Hi MauricioD thank you for very much for your very helpful information. I will try it and post back. You guys on this forum sure ROCKS.

Just by reading the posting on this site, I have learned a lot. I want to personally THANK all of you here for taking the time to help out newbies that are trying very hard to take on task beyond their experience. You all are valued more than you think.

Regards,

Richard

Hi MauricioD, sorry to be a pest again, but I was wondering if you can explain which IP address you are using in the interface multilink1. Is that the ip supplied by my ISP?

Thanks,

Richard

if these are point to point IP's then you decide what ip addressing you want to use.

Thanks plshlpme. Yes they are point to point, from a co-lo in one location to our company here. I am still learning and loving it.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back