Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combine records in query

Status
Not open for further replies.

thart21

Technical User
Mar 11, 2010
US
I'm completely lost on this one. I am querying from linked Oracle tables and cannot change any of the data.
I am grouping by "Prod_Code". The problem is that I have one field in my table that may or may not have data, "Country".
What I am getting is one record for each "Prod_Code" that does have data in "Country" and another for those where the field "Country" is blank.
I am required to show only one record in my query per "Prod_Code" and need to ignore the "Country" field in order to combine the records.
Trying to do something like
IIf "Prod_Code" is duplicate, THEN ignore where "Country" Is Null.
Thanks!

Maybe a UNION query
Code:
Select ... some fields ...
From SomeTable
Group By Prod_Code
Having Count(*) = 1 AND Country IS NULL

UNION

Select ... some fields ...
From SomeTable
Group By Prod_Code
Having Count(*) > 1 AND NOT IsNull(Country)

Thanks, trying it out and getting "Syntax error in HAVING clause". I've used my new field names, different from original post but same result desired.

This should combine all of the records between the 2 queries resulting in only on record per DEV_CD, correct?

SELECT DEV_CD, DEV_PROJ_ALIAS, STY_GRP_CD,DEVL_NM,Retail,Whsl,[New Or Carry],GRP_CAT_DESC, SAP_CAT_LONG_DESC,SAP_SUB_CAT_LONG_DESC, GBL_STATUS,[MLP FLAG], GFP_PRODUCT.GNDR_AGE_DESC, GFP_PRODUCT.PROD_TYP_GRP_DESC, GFP_PRODUCT.PROD_TYP_DESC, P_SILO_DESC,SPORT_ACTVTY_DESC,[PRIMARY PLATFORM GRP DESC],[SELL SEASON], DEV_SEASON, FCTY_CD
FROM qSourceData_AllSeasons_P_Silo_NULL
Having Count(*) = 1 AND P_SILO_DESC IS NULL
GROUP BY DEV_CD

UNION ALL

SELECT DEV_CD, DEV_PROJ_ALIAS, STY_GRP_CD,DEVL_NM,Retail,Whsl,[New Or Carry],GRP_CAT_DESC, SAP_CAT_LONG_DESC,SAP_SUB_CAT_LONG_DESC, GBL_STATUS,[MLP FLAG], GFP_PRODUCT.GNDR_AGE_DESC, GFP_PRODUCT.PROD_TYP_GRP_DESC, GFP_PRODUCT.PROD_TYP_DESC, P_SILO_DESC,SPORT_ACTVTY_DESC,[PRIMARY PLATFORM GRP DESC],[SELL SEASON], DEV_SEASON, FCTY_CD
FROM qSourceData_AllSeasons
Having Count(*) > 1 AND NOT IsNull(P_SILO_DESC)
GROUP BY DEV_CD

Thanks!

The HAVING phrase comes after the GROUP BY in queries. Every field in the the SELECT should be in the GROUP BY unless it is an aggregate like Sum() , Count(), Min(), ...

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back