Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combine Payroll Worksheet Data???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrteacher

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
I have 2 (two) different payroll sheets with the ONLY potential matching data being the employee name. I can get this to equal each other on the sheets - HOWEVER - Look at my examples and see if there is an easier way than so many checks and attempting to populate:

Example with title and values
Worksheet 1
CC Shift Emp Name L, F Ttl Hrs Reg Hrs OT DT
123987 2 Doe, John 12 6 3 3

Worksheet 2
Lname Fname, Dept Ref # Pay Rate
Doe John DIV6789875634123 NY6590T 10.87

The OTHER similar number is the CC = Dept in that the 123 & 987 are found in BOTH columns (fields).

The FINAL similar numbers through a lookup table would be the SHIFT # = "Pay Rate" -- ie. 2 = 10.87

Is there a way to populate from Worksheet 1 the following fields in Worksheet 2: Reg Hr, OT, DT??

There will be instances through Worksheet 2 where there is nothing equal because employee was not in that department - yet we can not have ERROR coming in because I need to TOTAL each employee.

I can separate out the first & last names using trim function etc but the real questions is the populating from different worksheet over

AND

Each week the worksheets come in with a different date - ie "Payroll Week 061209" and "CC 120906" -- I am thinking that we need to have macros developed and place on a network drive so any employee can pull up the macro...

Thanks in advance for your help - I found the name separation on a different thread.

Before we start, don't you think that using name for payroll matching is rather dangerous? I used to work in a department with 3 John Smiths.

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Hi Glenn -

I TOTALLY agree with you - however the ONLY two things that are common are the employee name (once I separate them LNAME, FNAME) and the CC/Dept Number.

I would rather have a unique employee id number or the SSN to use - but we are not being supplied with that.

So that makes this task much more difficult.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back