Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combine Fields in Same Table to Create New Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2001
US
Can someone please give me an idea on how to handle this. I need to take two text fields within one table and combine them to make another field within the same table. Any help would be appreciated.

the syntax for combining fields into a new field is:

NewField: Field1 & Field2

for example, if you've got firstname and lastname as two fields and want to combine them into one field:

FullName = FirstName & " " & LastName

-or-

FullName = LastName & ", " & FirstName

a.

Kathy,

Milesada's answer is correct, but I have to ask "WHY". If you can concatenate these two fields any time you need to,, why store them in the database as a third field? This is redundant and unnecessary. If you want to show the two fields together in a textbox on a form or report, just set the forms textbox equal to the two fields together. Terry M. Hoey

That's right, it's not only redundant, it will also lead to inaccurate data down the road. If, for example, someone's last name changes, the combined field won't be "dynamically" updated to reflect this change......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back