Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comapring 2 Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

report2000

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
I have two tables.

Both tables have same field names
FirstName, LastName

I would like to compare values in both tables based on the first 3 charaters of FirstName or LastName

Hi,

When you say 'compare' what exactly do you want to do?

I.E. Do you want to display ALL fields from BOTH tables where rows match on the first 3 chars of FirstName and LastName?

If so:

Tables are called Table1 and Table2.

Create the following queries (selecting additional fields that you wish to see in both queries)....

Query qryTab1:
[tt]
SELECT Left([FirstName],3) AS Tab1FN, Left([LastName],3) AS Tab1LN
FROM Table1;
[/tt]

Query qryTab1:
[tt]
SELECT Left([FirstName],3) AS Tab2FN, Left([LastName],3) AS Tab2LN
FROM Table2;
[/tt]

Create a third query to compare the 2 queries (selecting additional fields that you wish to see from both tables)....
[tt]
SELECT qryTab1.Tab1FN, qryTab1.Tab1LN, qryTab2.Tab2FN, qryTab2.Tab2LN
FROM qryTab1 INNER JOIN qryTab2 ON (qryTab1.Tab1LN = qryTab2.Tab2LN) AND (qryTab1.Tab1FN = qryTab2.Tab2FN);
[/tt]

A SQL expert will do it in one, but this will work.

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

Something like this (SQL code) ?
SELECT A.*, B.*
FROM Table1 AS A, Table2 AS B
WHERE Left(A.FirstName,3)=Left(B.FirstName,3) OR Left(A.LastName,3)=Left(B.LastName,3)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Roger that PHV,

Tut [2thumbsup]

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back