Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I have been having problems with this for a while now and it is stopping me from working.

The fixes I have seen involve editing registry entries but I am unable to save permission changes, Access Denied.
What am I meant to do?

Code:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
 and APPID 
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
;/code]

Keith
[URL unfurl="true"]www.studiosoft.co.uk[/URL]

You have to elevate your rights to Administrator (I'm sure that you have done this) when running RegEdit. You have then should change the ownership to the local Administrators group on both keys in question before grantilll Full Access permissions to the same group on both keys.

Of course if you've already done all that, and still can't change permissions ... well, I'm out of immediate advice.

Thanks
I activated the built in admin account and at the same time locked myself out of my own user account.
Even though I was in an admin account I was still unable to change the required permissions - the purpose of an admin account where you cannot admin is what exactly?

Keith

Click start. In the search window type REGEDIT. It will show in the listing above as regedit.exe . Then right click regedit.exe and choose "run as administrator" You will now have full rights to update anything in the registry.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

>I activated the built in admin account
Much better to simply use elevated rights, to be honest, as described by Beilstwh above.

>Even though I was in an admin account
Not necessarily ... even the built-in admin account can end up configured to restrict its admin rights (although this isn't normalluy the case by default) and require elevation.

When I run Regedit as administrator I still cannot set permissions in the advanced section.

In the advanced tab there are 3 tab options - Permissions, Auditing and Effective Access.
Many of the instructions I have seen mention an owner tab which is not there.

Keith

It seems to me that Microsoft have made what used to be a simple job into an epic.
reged_a7puhf.jpg

Keith

Sorry - I spent ages trying to get that to work because I couldn't get the right owner name in there.
Like many things, once you have worked it out it is easy.
Thanks for your help on this.

Keith

Sorry, my last comment came over far more patronisingly than it should have done. I should have put in a smiley.

Can we take it things are now working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back