Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

com ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaldean

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
US
I have a Dell Optiflex 150 (Wish I didn't)anyway, up until now I have had control over the modem speaker and could have it silent so I could do things at night when I cannot sleep, and not wake the family. Now my modem has jumped to Com5!! I have tried to remove the configuration, add it using the driver CD from Dell (the machine says: There is no information of this kind on the CD. It remains on Com5 and even though I move the indicator to "off" for the modem speaker, it makes no difference. Short of cutting a wire to the speaker is there anything I can do? Why is it on Com 5? I thought there were basically 1,2,3,4.

You dont say what operating system you have, but anyway if is Windows, try to completelly remove your modem from the system using Control Panel, then shut down the PC and fisically remove the modem and start the computer (this zis only for the PC clean the registry of everything about modem. Once you are in Windows, shut down again and reinstall the modem, but this time using different slot and start the PC, so Windows can make a clean detection of the modem. When Windows ask for the drivers, redirect to your CD. Once is installed the modem, go to Control Panel, double click on System icon, click on General Tab and double click on "+" sign on side of modem icon, select your modem and click on Properties button, find sound indicator and move to Off position. That's all. Hope this help.

also com5 is not that uncommon, but there is 2 places that you can try to turn off the modem speakers in windows depending on you OS control panel/modem highlight modem and choose properties. the other is in your dialup networking right click your connection choose properties then configure modem, i have ran accross times when you do one or the other they both do not change

Because of resource problems provisions for additional devices were added to the later operating systems.
It comes in handy with PCI addressing to give access to other IRQs than the standard 3&4 used for COM1 through COM4.
Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

My grateful thanks to juliowizco, Ed Fair, and Buckeye Computers. Each of you gave me excellent advice and I have stored it away in case I need it again.

However, it proved to be something simple (like my daddy always said, "Never overlook the obvious.")and when I tried the simplest suggestion first it worked!! By right clicking on the dial-up connection I got the modem speaker sound bar and found it was not on "off" at all, even tho' the other bar I found under modems was!

May I say that when I use this website and come with a problem all of you have been so very kind and have given great advice and helped solve my difficulties. I am indebted to Tek-Tips and to each of you.

Again thank you so much for your help.
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back