Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM Ports Conflict & Modem Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arran

MIS
Apr 11, 2002
GB
Installed Win2k (clean), all is fine but the COM Ports. COM 1 & COM3 are conflicting with eachother. I've tried changing IRQ and IO and they are no longer conflicting, surely this isnt the best way to go about the situation though. Also my Rockwell ISA Modem wont install, in Win98 it detects it on COM3, but with Win2k, i get nothing. Im an online gamer and this modem really rocks so i dont really want to replace it.

Please help

thanks

Boot to safe mode, remove all modems and com ports.
Go into BIOS and disable com 1 and 2, unless you really need them for an external device.
Jumper the modem for com 4, IRQ 4 (providing you have a PS2 mouse), otherwise, jumper it for Com 2, IRQ 3 (and disable com 2 in BIOS).
Go into BIOS setup, disable com 2, set "PnP OS installed" to NO, set "Reset configuration data" to YES.
Restart, reinstall.
Get the correct win2k drivers for your modem. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

erm.. this didnt work for me

I do have a PS/2 mouse, so i tried it on COM4, do i have to set the port i add to com4 in win2k too? cos i tried that.

i managed to get it working on COM1, but im getting this terrible popping and crakleing noise from my modem speaker (i have plugged my speakers in to it to get a clearer listen)

this crakling happens most the time im in windows, or loading windows at the logos screen, it happens if i move my mouse and if i type on the keyboard, it even does it when my Hard drive is going, and the weird thing is, its doing the popping or crakling to the rhythm of the mouse/keyboard or hard drive. So its a pop for every key i tap, or whenever i move the mouse, even if the harddrive goes.

my screen also shivers, like a shake, this is probably due to this modem problem. Its fine in windows 95 and 98 (ive tried it in my P133 to test it.

This is my system

PCCHIPS M590 Mainboard (perhaps the problem ;] )
AMD K6-2 500
128mb ram
ati rage pro & creative voodoo2
intel network card
Rockwell chipset modem
C-Media onboard sound (;/)

its probably the motherboard, pcchips are so crap

any ideas how to fix this problem

Well, not really the mobo (that could be part of it) but the crackling you're hearing is the unshielded sound chip, probably right beside the modem in your system. Get the modem into a different slot if you can, as far away from any power source/interference as possible.
The real answer here, is get a new mobo.
See if you can get it to com2, IRQ3. First remove all ports in device manager. It might be, the onboard sound has grabbed the same IRQ, and windows is trying to share them (not a good idea). Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

i had none of these problems with Windows 98, and the modem is as far away as can be ;)

i did get it working on COM2, still did it, its not too bad and im hoping that installing an SP 1 or 2 will do the trick.

Why would this crackling be cooming when i type or move the mouse, even the hard drive going does it.. what relationship do these components have with the modem?

its crazy stuff, would this crackling be affecting my online connection though? cos if it isnt i want to know if there is a jumper on the modem that disables the modem speaker.

if all fails ill get a new mobo when i start working after my college course, only 3 weeks left ;] i am setting up a network for a company somewhen so i should get a nice little packet from them :DD

Any time you've got audible feedback through the modem speaker, it's not turned off correctly (modem driver issue) or it's other unshielded components interacting with it. Usually higher voltage things like video and HD's.
There will probably not be a jumper to disable speaker, but if you put M0L0 (that's M zero L zero) in the Extra Settings box of Advanced modem properties, it will be quiet. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Its just seems to have settled, no reason for it, just did

and my screen aint shivering anymore

cant quite make it out

ill stick m0l0 in tho just to make sure ;]

ta for your help mate, u are a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back