Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Com port problems with DOS programs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phd

Technical User
Sep 14, 2001
US
My USR Sportster EXT modem works fine through Windows programs but does not work with my DOS based programs.
I have deleted both the modem and Com ports and re-installed with no success.

What software are you trying to use? What port is it on? And is the attempt in DOS or DOS window? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ok here is a brain teaser (Windows 9x/Me):
Modem works ok with dialup network but when you go to start-->run-->command--> echo atdtxxxxxxxxxx>com1 it says "error writing to device-Abort,retry,fail". Com port issue?? yeah..true but it's happening only in DOS shell not while using dialup networking.If you go ito device manager and remove the port and then hit "Refresh" button and let it install that port back.Now it will work. But just reboot the machine and you are back into same loop where it would work from DUN but not from DOS.It's like DOS isn't initializing the port.When it happens on windows 98 machine, you can do a registry tweak provided by technet (regedit-->HKLM-->system-->currentControlSet-->Services-->Vxd-->VCOMM and on the right side of the screen make EnablePowerManagement key's value all zeros like 00 00 00 00.Has to be 8 zeros) and then reboot the PC and it works. But in case of Windows ME there is no Key "EnablePowerManagement" in VCOMM. Even if you create 1 and give it all values zero, will not work. Ay suggestions here??
Have already tried playing with comp port iRQ's settings, didn't accomplish anything :)

Internal or external? Suspect that it has to do with the handshaking that hasn't been set up. If external then you could see what modem controls are up. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back