Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM port problem with M598 mainboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdanner3

Technical User
Feb 21, 2001
US
System particulars:
* pc-chips M598 mainboard
w/SiS530 video and CMI8338 audio built on.
* 64Mb pc100 SDRAM
* AMD K6-2/350 running at full speed
* Win98se with all updates

Basically, it reports the serial device on the COM port as dead...no matter what I do now. I used to be able to revive this particular system's com ports with a rather weird sequence of procedures (outlined below)

* Uninstall (serial) mouse if present in Device Manager
* Shut down Win98se, power down for at least a minute
* On boot, go to CMOS setup, disabling all comports, save
* Let Windows detect there are no comports.
* Repeat step 2
* On boot, go to CMOS setup, turn comports back on, save

If all this worked, the comports and any serial mouse attached to them would work...until the power was turned off, then it all started all over again. Customer is clawing his hair out, and I admit to severe temptation to throw this mainboard into a vat of acid!

If anyone can assist in figuring out EXACTLY what the problem with this mainboard is, please do reply ASAP.

My guess (and it's just MHO) it's a PC Chips mobo, and SHOULD be in the vat of acid. Get your client a good mobo (Intel BX chipset) like the Asus P3B-F, and you won't have any more of these types of problems.
Of course you could look around for a Shuttle, MSI or somesuch that has the onboard sound and video as well. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Replace the Motherboard, your super I/O chip is flakey

I have had this prob once ...... It has driven me crazy.

I was rescued by this forum, by somebody that reminded me there are 2 types of COM Adapters (extensions brackets) with different pinouts. Type-A and type-B adapters.

Guess what adapter I had picked out to install on this M598 ?? The only one B-type I had in my lab !

I swapped the brackets, and ..... the dammed M598 is working up to now 100 %.

I have already upgraded to XP HE with zero problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back