Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

com port lpt conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymm

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
AU
all was ok until i reinstalled modem drivers. then printing conflicts began.

when i remove modem driver and reboot, the modem device is picked up by pgp and drivers reinstalled which is fine, and YES i can print.

however if i reboot with printer and modem seemingly ok i again CANNOT print( error writing to lpt1 )

if i again remove modem driver and reboot, its autodetected and again i can print.

com and lpt ports seem to be using different irq settings.

have removed and reinstalled both printer and modem.

what else can i check?

is it worth reinstalling w95?

thanks

tm

Modem problems have always been a huge hassle to solve. I've dealt with quite a few of my own com/printer problems, so heres a crack at a solution.
First thing I would check is if the modem drivers are the most recent for your OS.
You may also want to go into the bios and locate the settings for the communications port (If there is one). I found that problems usually occur when the com ports are set to automatic. If they are, try setting them manually (to their own unique IRQs of course).
Before the OS boots up, I would also go into safemode (assuming you're using windows) and remove all of the existing com/modem/and printer drivers so Windows can reinstall them (have your OS' installation CD ready).

Modem problems can be tough, but I hope this helps.

-Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back