Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM Port issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturm26

MIS
Sep 20, 2002
US
I've read some forum entries on getting the COM ports to connect with a login script(using net use), and I've got my users configured to do this. Citrix will map LPT ports without an issue, but it won't pick up the client COM ports. I get a host unreachable error, no matter what client station I'm on.

One potentially small twist with this is that we're publishing this from a Web Interface, although it is bringing up a locally installed client, not the java client.

Environment: W2K3 w/ PS4

Any thoughts?

We use net use to map com ports

net use com1 \\client\com1:

and then we use that to sync palms with Palm Desktop / Activesync.

We used to use a login script to map the com port but the timing would yield an error message, though it would work anyway. To get rid of the error we just set up .bat files to map the com port and then execute the program.

Already have that part... the login script itself fails with a host unreachable error.

sturm26,
This is probably a stupid question but you might want to check that your comm ports are being mapped out.

I would just create a policy in the farm and activate the comm port mappings to those servers. You might even get one server for testing and apply the policy to that.

Hope that helps.

The policy for that is in place, but unfortunately, nothing is mapping.

However, poking around in this has brought up an interesting question... after the Citrix session is created, the activity across port 1494 is "screenshot" related only, correct? No standard activity(ie net use commands) jump across that port, it would use whatever standard port it would use from the Citrix server to the client station.

If that's the case, that's where my problem lies.

sturm26,
The ICA session launches on 1494 between the client and the server (if you have session reliability activated it will use 2598).
This does include "screenshots" but it also maps out all of its virtual channels using this port.
The virtual channels include client drive mappings, comm port mappings, sound mappings and other client device mappings.

Everytime the user logs into the Citrix server it goes out and maps all it's configured client device settings. Once that is done the login scripts usually run (ie: netlogon, usrlogon and other kixscripts).

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back