Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Com port in use by another application

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stbill

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2003
US
I have a user with a Dell inspiron 1100. He recently stayed at a hotel that had a internet connection that used a pcmcia card. He loaded the program and drivers that they provided and he could not connect, what's worse is that now he cannot connect through his internal modem using the regular modem telephone line plug on his laptop. He gets an error saying that the com port is in use by another application. I have uninstalled the original program he loaded at the hotel, tried uninstalling the modem drivers and restarting and letting them reload, I went online with Dell and tried what they suggested but I am still getting the same error message. What am I missing.
Thanks,
1stbill

I am having the same problem with no idea how to fix it and use my modem thats on my laptop. Please let me know if you find out how ti fix this.

thanks

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back