Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

com port in use by another application

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston33

MIS
Jan 9, 2005
US
Hello,

I am connecting a Windows XP Pro PC to a medical monitor. It uses a null modem cable.

It connects to Serial Port 1. (Com Port 1.).

When I use the software, it shows a message," com port in use by another application." When I run a Hyperterminal Test, I get a similar message.

I restarted and reinstalled the software. I still have the same problem.

Is there any way to free up com port 1? Is there any way to see which app. is using com port 1?

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried looking in your BIOS settings, seeing if it's assigned in any way there? Also, you could try disabling it in BIOS, then rebooting again, and re-enabling it, and see if that makes any difference.

Otherwise, one of the process viewer type apps may tell you what process is using it, but I don't specifically remember if one does that or not. It seems I've seen at least one do so, but I can't say for sure.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back