Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

com port assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

donbo

Technical User
Jan 8, 2002
US
With the advent of usb, we use many ports. Has Procomm or will Procomm ever go beyond the 9 ports it offers?

There was a feature (more of a hack really) added to Procomm toward the end of the 4.7 development to add com ports beyond COM9. You can read how to enable it here:

However, I have never heard of anyone getting this to work correctly and Symantec documents this as unsupported.

A while back, another used pointed me to another solution, I have pasted his message below:

If you really need more than 9 COM ports and you can't get the hack to work, I suggest you use a COM port switch (matrix) that you can control via.. of course, a COM port! This way you can live with only 2 COM ports: one connected to the matrix, from where it will be switched to your various devices you want to talk to, and another COM port to control the matrix itself. Check out these guys, they make some serial matrices:
aspect@aspectscripting.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back