Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COM+ Or XML Service For Multi-Tier System

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelFox

Programmer
Jun 16, 2002
GB
Is it true to say that setting up a three tier application
can be accomplished by either setting up a COM+ service as the 'business logic' middle tier or by setting up an XML web service to handle the 'business logic'?.

Define Business Logic as you are using it.

To me, business logic is the logic that controls progression, calculations, and workflow of an system. For example, business logic prevents a dispersement from being made before a loan officer signs off on the loan application. Business logic brings the information together for a report.

-Rick

----------------------

Take a look at:

Designing Data Tier Components and Passing Data Through Tiers, from the Microsoft Patterns & Practices group.

Chip H.

We commonly use web services as layers in our tiered applications and have benefited from the practice immensely. We see it as the ultimate in flexibility.

I can’t say from first hand experience (as I manage the projects, I’m a novice vb.net programmer) but it seems to me that it’s a little more work up front to do it this way but we’ve been able to extrapolate many pieces of an application built for one reason to solve other problems. Makes things a lot easier to reach out over the web even especially when you didn’t plan on it doing that in the first place.

Hope that helps!

Rick Feuling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back