Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Com+ cache problem - have to restart box to update!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

espar

Programmer
May 13, 2002
AU
We are having a problem with COM + in thatit sometimes gets into a state where you can't update a com object.

You can even delete it through the interface and the server will still create instances without error ??

I am going through the correct process - stopping the application, deleting the object, replacing the source then dragging it back to com+.

The component supposedly registers without errors, but has the old version there. Restarting the box will cause the new com object to be used - however... need i say more.

I believe that components are cached by the server to save resources - is there any control over this. Is there any services that can be restarted to fix this (Com + event system)?

Hmmmm. Thanx for any help.

Espar,

Have you also stopped the MS DTC service before attempting to update the component? If you right-click on My Computer within Component Services, you can stop the MSDTC service.

King

No i wasn't stopping DTC. Would have guessed that by stopping (so 0 active instances) then deleting the object that any transactions would have been cleaned up.

But it sounds like a good suggestion - it only happens occasionally - i'll try next time -

thanx King.

Have found that repeatedly deleting then re-adding component can fix problem - sooner or later...

Happened on a live server, i was too scared of the effects of stopping DTC while transactions were possibly still running / being started, and wasn't about to suggest that the company stop work while i update a com object. :)

Guess that while an instance of the object remains the package is removed from interface but not somewhere deep inside windows... Even waiting a couple of minutes and watching activex errors appear did not matter, perhaps you have to be lucky enough to delete when there are no active instances.

bump - happenin again on anther dev server - anyone else got any clues ??

OK - think its figured :)

I was working in a web environment - so an asp page instantiating the object.

When running locally using say wscript the com object has the new methods and code - so i assume that IIS's caching scripts and executables extends to COM objects !!

Guessing that IIS has no way of knowing that the source object has changed so doesnt mark as dirty also.

An iisrestart fixes the problem !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back