Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Columns in InDesign CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcbryson

Instructor
Oct 28, 2004
GB
Hi Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have different column settings in InDesign CS2 on a spread - e.g 2 columns on right page and 3 on the left.I know this was possible in Pagemaker.

Thanks

George

...select your left master page and change the column number to 3 via 'layout > margins and columns'...

...select the right master page and do the same, this time with 2 columns as you desire...

andrew

Thanks Andrew - There doesn't seem to be an option to change the left or right pages on either the master or on the actual pages (as there is in Pagemaker)through the Layout menu.

Thanks

George

layout > margins and columns?

I'm certain Indesign CS2 has this, does on my version...

Andrew

...not layout adjustment if that is where you are looking...

??

Andrew

You can try thi.

On pages palette select New Master from the flyout menu. Select 1 as the number of pages and make sure it's not based on any other master. With that open go to Layout and set 3 columns with whatever gutter you want.

Repeat the New master thing - 1 page only - and create 2 columns.

Then, on pages palette, select all, or any you want, right pages and apply either the 3 or 2 column master. Then repeat for the left pages. If you just want to apply to a page or 2 you can also just drage the appropriate master over that page in the pages pallette.

On a mac, you can select multiple pages in the pages window by holding down the command key. Don't know the windows equivalent but try the key next to the spacebar.

Another trick is to make a new master, 1 or 2 pages. Use the text frame tool to draw a box that matches the exact size of the page. Do this on each side - right & left if you use a 3 page master. Then, on the right, select the new text fram and go to Object menu/text frame options. Select 2 or 3 columns. Repeat for the left side. Apply this master to the pages as necessary.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Hi Andrew and Jim. I've just realised what I've been doing wrong - I was changing the column values while the entire spread was selected. So Andrew, you were absolutely right, - I should have been selecting the individual pages and then adjusting the columns. I wasn't concentrating. Shouldn't be trying to do this late at night.

Thanks to all for your help.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back