Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column / Row indicators 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fae

Instructor
Nov 28, 2002
US
My client has a problem in Microsoft Excel 2000
She says that where the column inidcators are A, B, C, D it is now 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. and the Row indicators are showing A, B, C, D instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

How can we change this back ?

Thanks

Miracles we do immediately ...
imposibilities take a little longer.

Are you sure that this has been changed and it is not that someone has hidden the column and row headers and simply typed in numbers in the first row and column?

I thought that the format was set because there are only 256 columns and to have alpha down 66536 rows would be a little challenging

Regards

Keith

Tools / Options... / General -- untick R1C1 reference style

Changing to R1C1 means that the Rows will be labled 1 thru whatever and now also the "C" or Columns will be labled 1 through whatever....

There is not a way to change the ROW "NUMBERS" to read as Letters

Sorry Zathras... for jumping in, I'm just here at the moment....

Sometimes when a spreadsheet shows Row 1, Column 1 indicators, it is possible that spreadsheet was previously used/edited on a MAC instead of a PC as well, just a tip :)

Laurie

LadyCK3

Laurie, no apology necessary. That's the way we do it in this forum (back each other up and work toward an optimum solution).

Fae, are you absolutely sure the ROW indicators became A,B,C...? I don't know of any way to cause that, other than what Keith suggested (Tools/Options.../View and untick "Row & column headers" then type in your own values). What version of Excel is your client using?

Inclined to agree with KLMorgan if indeed the row headers were alpha.

Hehehe, wait till you see a sheet where the Col Headings go backwards, ie it starts on the left at IV, then IU, IT, IS etc, and the row headers shift to the right of the screen (Though they still won't be alpha :-> ).

If you come across that one, try Tools / Options / International Tab / Uncheck 'view current sheet right to left' or change the default direction back from 'right to left'. Or just do it to a colleague for the hell of it when they aren't looking :)

Regards
Ken....................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

::waving:: HI KEN!!!

Thanks in advance, I'm sure this would have been a stickler sometime in the future, now I have the knowledge and you get a star for it....

I would have thought that truly I'd lost my mind (there's a rap song in there somewhere) anyway!!!

Yer the BEST!

LadyCK3

I could never understand why this feature would help anyone, till I read somewhere that one of the countries out there read all their spreadsheets from right to left - I think a lot of them are hard enough from left to right, let alone the reverse!!!!!!! :)

Regards
Ken...............

Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back