Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Colour rendering anarchy?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmiocid

Technical User
Jul 29, 2007
ES

Hi, I entered a hex value for a background colour of a div in an external css style sheet, to find that the rendering of that colour, a kind of tobacco'ish shade, rendered as an almost dark pink! in another pc

In both my pc and laptop the colour was the same with both IE and Firefox, but a disaster colour when I tried in a third pc...

How can I make the colour render always the same.. I thought the hex values were trustworthy...

Thanks

It might not be anything you can control. For example:

- How many colours was the other display set to? 256? 65,000? Millions?

- Did the other PC have any colour schemes / profiles set up via software?

- Were both monitors calibrated to the same standards? Perhaps one has it's colour balance completely different.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Billy ray is right on.

Do a google search on web safe colors. those are the colors that will display correctly on 99% of browsers. straying off that path will reduce that number significantly.

Darryn Cooke
| The New Orange County Graphic designer and Marketing and Advertising Consultant
| Marketing and Advertising blog

Billy ray is right on.

Do a google search on web safe colors.

I specifically [!]didn't[/!] mention anything about web-safe colours, because as far as I am concerned, the days when we needed to use them are long gone.

Dan

Code Couch Snippets & Info:

In fact...

Wikipedia said:
Web-safe" colors had a flaw in that, on systems such as X11 where the palette is shared between applications, smaller color cubes (5×5×5 or 4×4×4) were often allocated by browsers — thus, the "web safe" colors would actually dither on such systems.

Wikipedia said:
As of 2007 ... The use of "web-safe" colors has fallen into practical disuse, but persisted in culture.

Dan

Code Couch Snippets & Info:

Yes I agree and I misspoke when i said web-safe colors. What I meant to say was that your color pallette is more limited if you want certain colors to appear the same on a majority of systems.

i used the term rather loosely.

Darryn Cooke
| The New Orange County Graphic designer and Marketing and Advertising Consultant
| Marketing and Advertising blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back