Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Colors on the monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperlord

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
US
Heeelo!
Alright - I just got a nice new samsung 17" flat screen. Its really nice lookin. But it sucks at providing a color representation that is even close to my Pantone swatches!

I'm creating all these great pages on teh screen using - the go to print and they are not only off... they're WAAAY off. ugh..

Anyone know of a good utility that will color-manage my screen? I know it's practiaclly impossible to get colors to match b/w screen and print - but it should at least be close! I've input dozens of specific PMS codes into the color libraries - and the colors that show up on the screen are vastly different than those on the pantone swatch book I just bought. Man those things are not cheap!

Do I have to sit there and tweak the monitor to holy hell-o.. or is there an easier way?

thanks - nate

Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

The only thing I've heard of that will let you calibrate a LED monitor is Colorific. Don't have the address handy, but Google will find it for you.

If you are talking of a regular monitor with the 'flat' screen, then you can use the built in calibration in Photoshop.

It is almost impossible to match colors between print and monitor resolution. There are so many factors to consider. You have to even take into account the lighting and the angle to the monitor. Then you have to remember that everyone's monitor is different, as is everyone's video card.

We did a small study on this locally and found that most every monitor displayed color somewhat differently and that matching print color is virtually impossible.

Best we could come up with was to trust PhotoShop. Scary huh! -----------------------------------------------
These are endless galaxies which are yours.
You can journey to infinity
through the endless passages of the cosmos.
Even better. This all belongs to you.
This is your mind.

To try and regulate the colours seen on software we write I ran the monitor settings program from adobe

The program is called adobe gamma.

you can read about it at

Have a look for that. You still dont get an exact match but it is the closest I have managed so far.

hope this helps Manic
-----------------------------
I've broken it again !!
-----------------------------
lee.gale@virgin.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back