Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[color red]colored text IS THIS A VIRUS OR IS MY HD SSHAFTED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstruck

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
GB
I have a conner technology 10gb HD that I was using without any problems. I added a 20gb maxtor and used Drive Image to clone the disk and operating system from the 10GB onto the 20Gb. all went well and the pc runs fine with the cloned 20GB as the master drive.

however, after formating the 10Gb drive and installing it as a slave... windows reads it as a 512mb "Removable" drive?? the bios reads it as a "oochemoogoe" instead of a connor drive and autodetects the wrong cyl head settings.

I have made countless attempts at re-formatting, f-disk, and manually inserting the correct cyl head settings so that is reads as a 10Gb drive only for it to revert to an "oochemoogoe 512mb" removable drive when I boot into windows. I downloaded the seagate (connor compatible) disk diagnostic tool and ran it on this drive. It came up as ok but as an 8 gb drive with only 15 cyl instead of 16 !!!

I am completely baffled with this problem..it is a new one to me. And as Connor tech went bust and are in the process of starting up again under new management and seagate do not give tech support to the CT range of drives I am hoping one of you guys can throw some light on this one.

Is it a boot sector virus that Norton cannot see?
or is the hard drive buggered?
Your views would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

How about putting it back on the master as a single drive and see if it still misidents? Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

How old is your motherboard (IDE controller), and what OS are you running? I can't imagine a virus doing what you're saying. Would you be able to plug the drive into a different PC and see if you get the same results?
-Steve

What happens when you manually configure the drive in your bios i.e., manually put in your # of heads, cylinders, sectors, etc.

I don't think it is a virus since you've reformatted it. It sounds like your HD is "komboozeled." James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

When worst comes to worst...do a low level format.

Sometimes high level formatting just doesn't get ALL of it. Low level formatting writes 0's to EVERYTHING on that drive. I dont know what vendor your 10gb is, but visit their website, they should have a utility for it.

I guess if that doesn't work...yer screwed. =) Regards,
Anth:cool:ny

Ok guys,

to answer your posts....

the motherboard is 12 months old and a QDI Kinetiz so is a good board and shouldnt be a problem.

tried it in another pc... same result....

its a conner tech drive, so I used the seagate tool and did a low level format and tested the drive...seagate tool said the drive was ok but only an 8.1GB not 10.2gb and said that the drive only had 15 heads ??? how so?

thanks for your help..

still trying :)

There are some limitations on some of the older bios and drives. I don't have my older manuals in front of me so I am going from memory. Most older BIOS' have a limitation of 1024 cylinders. The way around this was to fool the BIOS into thinking the drive had more heads than it really did. If you did not use the same number of cylinders/heads/sectors/etc. that you originally had, then the size may not be correct. Post your drive model number and I'll look for my old manaul and see if I can find the correct numbers for you.

James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back