Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Color pdf's don't separate into CMYK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trosh

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
I'm on the receiving end (Mac) of a Pagemaker (PC) pdf. They are supposedly making their cuts CMKY in Photoshop and placing them in the Pagemaker document, then making a Pagemaker eps then a Distiller pdf. All parts of the pdf appear on all four separation plates. Does anyone know why the pdf won't separate – and how to fix it? Thanks much!!

hi,

A number of things could have happened.
The distiller setting were not correct.
The eps was not made in the correct way.
The printer driver for Acrobat could be wrong.

If you have Enfocus Pitstop you can check the pdf and see what is wrong. You can download a 30 days trial version at This will create a report where you can see what is wrong in the pdf-file.

hope this helps
grillhouse

Trosh, have you tried making a PM .ps rather than .eps before distilling? In the printer set up make sure you have it set for separations, and double check all color settings there. On the EPS, did anyone use spot colours by any chnace? Figuring this out will be mostly detective work, as you check all settings, maybe replace printer drivers or PPD as you go to find the optimal setting. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Sounds to me the images are still in RGB! Let freedom ring!

grillhouse,

Thanks for the thread to the pdf preflight software demo. According to the demo, the cuts are still RGB, although they emailed just the cuts to me, I opened them in Photoshop and they were CMYK, but (this gets wierder) they WOULD separate when I saved them out of Photoshop. This has got me totally stumped, but thanks for your help!

afral,

You may be right – but, like I told grillhouse, when they sent their cuts to me, they were CMYK, but they wouldn't separate for me when I placed them in a Quark document, until I opened them in Photoshop & saved them again. Note that I didn't have to change anything in Photoshop, I just had to save them again. Thanks for your help.

Trosh

Open Distiller, and under job options>advanced there is a check box for "convert CMYK to RGB"... deselect that box if it is checked. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

viol8ion,

Thanks for the suggestion...but where is that "job options"? I don't like to sound stupid, but I use Acrobat 5 and I can't find that menu, sorry!!

I am at work and still using Acrobat 3, still in the dark ages here ... but if I rmember it is similar.. open distiller and under the "distiller" tab you have a "job options". When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back