Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

color change 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nermal

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
Why would the color of a Tif file (mens jackets) change when I place them in PageMaker? I work on the file in Photoshop, print it out, and it looks great.
I place the very same file in PageMaker, print it on the same color printer, and the colors change...Help

Hi, Nermal,

"You have to understand that - on screen - your image will never look EXACTLY as it did in Photoshop. Photoshop and PageMaker use different colour management systems - with different algorithms.

Photoshop = Adobe CMS
PageMaker = Kodak CMS (on Windows - all versions) which is older and transforms colours in different way than Adobe CMS.

When it comes to colour management on PM:

1) An accurate monitor profile is essential. Adobe Gamma with a lot of messing around, can get you somewhere close. Hardware profiling is miles more accurate. I like the monitor profiler from - more complex, but closer to a hardware created profile. The Delta e, which is the measurement of accuracy is quite good with littlecms.

2) Your destination profile is next in importance in obtaining an accurate proof which will resemble the final print. Your CMYK output selection in Photoshop should match exactly the same one selected in PM. Without this all bets are off.

3) IF, and this is always the big if, you have Photoshop setup correctly - including the proof preview settings dialled in - trust Photoshop.

You can get reasonable good colour managed previews in PM, if you have everything in your workflow set up properly.

It is beyond the space here to elaborate everything needed to get CMS working right on PageMaker, but the defaults do not work right sometimes and one must know exactly how to work with the profile settings.

My test for CMS on PM - take file - distill a hi res PDF in Acro 4 or 5 with colour management "unchanged" and then open this in Acrobat - print to a colour PS printer. If it looks ugly, you probably have some settings wrong in PM or PS.

Many thanks to Peter Linnell

For more colour management help, you might want to check out the Colour Management forum."

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back