Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

collisions and packets dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzie23

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
IE
Hi, Not sure this is the right forum but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

We are having a problem with our website. As you are browsing, searching etc the website will suddenly seem to crash 'Page cannot be displayed' will appear. I've checked the webserver when this happens and IIS appears ok and the website is started. There are no messages in the event viewer on the machine. (did think it was an IIS problem but apparently not). The people that administer our router assure me it is working correctly but that they can see alot of collisions on the line between our router and that of our ISP and as a result packets are being dropped. We have had the line tested and the company has reported no faults - though it wouldn't be the first time they got it wrong! We have failed over to our backup firewall and it has no effect - and no changes have been made to the firewall. Our network guys have carried out a netlook up for our website and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - Any ideas? It is Win server 2000, lucent firewall and cisco router. Thanks

If the connection is seeing collisions then more than likely you have a speed/duplex mismatch between your equipment and the ISP's . The router port settings must match between your router and whatever the ISP is using , check with the isp to see what his port settings are , if they hardcoded the speed and duplex then you must hardcode also . The only time you would see collisions if one side or the other is running in half duplex mode which it should "not" be . Set both sides as full duplex and hardcode the port speed also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back