Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collections and SMS 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATech

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2001
US
I can see all of my workstations listed in my collection but have run into a problem on about 5% of my collection where pushing or pulling the client is not installing the components properly. When they show up on my collection, the are listed as follows:

Site Code = Null
Client = No
Assigned = No

On the client, there is no site listed or Components installed. This has been hard to isolate since they are scattered throughout my organization with no obvious common factors. The subnets are all added, as I alluded to earlier, 95% or so have installed properly. Most are incidents where I may have 5 in the same office, with 4 of 5 installing properly. Any insight will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

SATech

Double-click on one of the non-assigned clients and check the IP Subnet shown. If the client has an incorrect subnet mask entered, then the resulting subnet will not be one that is in your site boundaries.

Tom Thaden
thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov

IP subnets and subnet masks are correct. Any additional insight?

If your users are using laptops and getting different IP addresses when connecting to the internet at home via a cable modem (in other words, when you are using the LAN adapter instead of dial-up to connect). Depending on your travel mode settings, you may have users deassigning from the site while they are outside the site boundaries on the cable modem.

I know this sounds like a far-out situation, but SMS functionality has occured in our environment over PPTP connections via a HomeLAN/CableModem!

If my laptop is connected to work (PPTP) via the cable modem at home, then my IP address while running SMSLS.BAT (in my work logon script) is 24.xx.x.xxx, well outside the subnet boundaries of the SMS Site. If my Travel Mode is set to prompt=off and travel=off, then my PC would de-assign istelf from the site.

You can configure the client to not de-assign when outside the subnet boundaries...check here for this information:

Thanks for the insight Schoenberg. Although the info you provided will be most beneficial to someone with mobile systems, our problem lies with fixed systems. I've began trying to decipher the sms logs on the clients in question but have yet to find anything that jumps out at me that resembles a problem. Still searching... ________
SVergara
SVergara@Texas.net

Speaking of log files, there is an excellent tool available in the SMS Support Tools from Microsoft (SUPPORT.EXE on the SMS 2 CDROM) for viewing log files.

The tool is called DIG. It will retrieve all of the pertinent log files and other information to help troubleshoot issues with SMS. It is also highly recommended when communicating with Microsoft Premier Support, since they ALWAYS ask for this stuff when you open an incident!

SATech were you able address your problem.
Have just installed SMS 2.0 in our environment and seem to have the same problem.

Still a mystery...I am baffled that none of the professionals that traverse this site nor any of our local SMS instructors have even seen what I'm describing above! There weren't any oddities that took place during implementation that would have triggered our concern, otherwise, we would probably be able to isolate that as the problem. Surely nothing happened that would lead me to believe we had such a unique situation on our hands...or did it???

Still guessing... ________
S. Joseph Vergara
SVergara@Texas.net

Did u check the logs on the workstation for any clues, and do the 5% that didn't install have enough disk space on the workstations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back