Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collect for output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

relate2

Instructor
Aug 21, 2001
AU
Using Quark 4.11 I have to physically send a file to the printer and I do a "collect for output" but it does not appear to collect the fonts, it collects all the pictures but not the fonts. I know in Pagemaker it collect the fonts, is there something I am missing?

There is one file 14KB in size with extension .02 File is this the font files?

Hi!
The best is to use special utility like FlightCheck or FC collect for this job. You can always do an error during font collecting, more fonts - more error.
Regards
Sergej

you can also use another utility called Fontxpress which I have found useful

Or you could read the collect for output report, and collect the fonts together yourself. DON'T forget the printer fonts. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

There is an extension that will collect the fonts for you, but I can't recall the name.

I've spoken to Quark about it and they are "looking into it". Since Pagemaker has been doing it for years and InDesign is so much better than Quark 4, this sort of thing will hopefully be used as a carrot to users not to change...

But don't hold your breath.

Of course Quark do have their reasoning for not having collected the fonts - this is due to licensing laws for fonts - you can't give them to someone as they are not yours to give.

So whoever receives your collected job must legally have the fonts in use or will need to substitute them for ones they do own...

Thanks everyone for your help.

Just a serious WORD OF WARNING if you try the demo of Flight Check. I just tried it out on this book I am editing for a friend of mine and IT DELETED ALL OF THE FILES....yes all gone, 250 pages and 6 months work.

Lucky for me I am very particular about backups ontop of backups and I was not affected.

They are kind enough to mention on the website that I downloaded the demo from that the demo can cause problems on some machines. Unfortunately they have placed the warning down the bottom of their page way past the download link...SO BE WARNED MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RECENT BACKUPS BEFORE YOU TRY THIS PROGRAM IN DEMO MODE.

EDIT======> Well I found an email for the company and I was pleasantly suprised that I received a prompt reply to my email. They were polite and stated that there is nothing in their software that would delete the original files.

Well I tried to re-create the problem and could not, the original file stayed where it was. I say again though the file did disappear when I used the program so there could possibly be a different reason although on my newly built system in top order with no previous problems maybe it is just that "The Moon is in the wrong Phase" and just one of those things. Who knows, I just thought I needed to post this as I could not reproduce the error and to be fair to the company I wanted to let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back