Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collation conflict when running SQL database based report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2008
GB
I am working on a report that uses two tables from within the same SQL 2005 database.

The database is set to CI (case insensitive), but when I add two of the tables to the report, link them on fields I know should work, I get this error:

Failed to retrieve data from the database.
Details: 42000:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_CI_AI" and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation. [Database Vendor Code: 468]

Can anyone help explain why this is occuring and how I go about resolving this issue?

Many thanks

You can resolve the problem by instructing the SQLEngine to use a specific collation. For example:
select ... from Table1 t1
inner join Table2 t2
on (t1.ID= t2.ID COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS)

You can replace SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS with the right collation or use the database default

If you are joining the tables in the Database expert you will need to change the report to use a stored procedure , command or view.

Viewer, scheduler and report manager for Crystal reports and SSRS.
Send your report everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back