Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coldfusion input form corrupts french lang symbols é, ê etc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddyholly

Programmer
Sep 12, 2002
FR
Hi, I am developing an application for French users. If I input by coldfusion form a piece of text which contains a unique french letter like é ç ê - it gets corrupted, when coldfusion inserts it into the database. The user pages is therefore presented with corrupted french letters

If I correct it directly in the database, it fixes it with the user page.

Cant find any international settings on coldfusionMX / DreamweaverMX. ???

Thanks for any help

James

We had a problem with this as well but CF was inserting it into the database correctly, it was when it pulled it out that was the problem.

Its all down to the default encoding CFMX uses. If memory serves it defaults to some weird character set, and the letters you talk about are not part of that set.

try putting these bits of code into your application.cfm and try running uour code again. I think this should fix it

<cfcontent type=&quot;text/html; charset=iso-8859-1&quot;>
<cfset setEncoding(&quot;form&quot;,&quot;iso-8859-1&quot;)>

Hope this helps!

Tony

Many thanks !!!!!

that works perfectly.

Just for interest though, in trying to figure this out, I noted that the entry to the database was corrupted, but I if manually fixed the database entry then the resutlts page was ok. I gather from your reply that was not your experience ? ANYHOW, thanks again for the fix - just saved the day for me.

james

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back