Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Start Traps on Passport 1200/8000

Status
Not open for further replies.

oak2278

MIS
May 29, 2003
US
I am a server guy who's recently inherited control of a Passport 1200 switch and an 8100. It seems that during business hours, when the main load is on the network, the switches reset about every 60-90 minutes, causing users to drop for about 3 seconds and each switch throws a coldStart trap. I've rebooted the swtiches, checked for dup IPs, MACs, excessive broadcasts, but see nothing unusual. This isnt really my area of expertise and i've quickly run out of ideas.

Thanks
Shawn O'Connor

Shawn my busiest 1200 restarts every 3 months, and I complain about that.

version 2.1.6.1 is the current software release for the 1200

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

We have 2 1200s running in production.We have had the high cpu utilization problems and the other wierd problems.
Reseating all the blades APPEARED to resolve the problems.
I can only guess that possibly oxidation/gas bubble(s)/FM or whatever resolved the problems.
With switching power supplies ensure that the neutral current load is not exceeded(harmonics from multiple switch psu's will cause grief).

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Public Safety-DMV
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back