Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Fusion VS Visual Studio .Net 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesupport

Programmer
May 18, 2004
US
I have an application that will need to be transferred from a desktop to the web. Currently it's written in FoxPro. A small spin-off of this application was put on the web by another programmer. He claimed he had to use cold fusion because Visual Studio .Net with SQL couldn't handle the open ended select statements. I assume he means the unmatched records. I need to start studying web design and all languages involved to put it on the web, but don't know where to start. I do not have time to study both VS .net and Cold Fusion. Is cold Fusion better and faster than mySQL with VS .net? This application has heavy use of large select statements and table scans and relations. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

WTF does he mean by open-ended SQL statements? SQL can handle just about anything you throw at it. Data processing belongs in the data layer; CF should have NOTHING to do with the efficacy of queries.

Sounds like a design problem to me (in addition to some unfamiliarity with the tools).

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

Your reply is very helpful! Now I have 2 more questions:
1) Is Cold Fusion Faster than VS .net 2005?
2) Will mySQL work with both VS .net 2005 and Cold Fusion?

Thanks

1) ? Yes, and No - That's not a easy to answer question

2) Yes. I don't know VS.net, but mySQL can be connected to in all the standard ways. Worst case, ODBC DSN. mySQL works great with CF.

Large tables, relational, table scans? Spend some serious time on setting up some good indexes on the DB, and seeing what might be able to be done to improve things if needed.

Kevin

Phase 1: Read the CFML Reference
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit!

imstillatwork,

RE: 1) ColdFusion VS .net speed? Yes, and No - That's not a easy to answer question - Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying it depends what is being done?

speed comparisons usually don't matter. CF is fast enough. VB.net is fast enough. Quality of code matters on both as fat as performance goes.

Kevin

Phase 1: Read the CFML Reference
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back