Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Fusion & SQL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkhella

Technical User
Oct 8, 2007
US
In setting up CF8 using SQL 2005, should the tables in SQL be schematically related? At present, the tables in SQL are not related and CF is able to retrieve the data with no problems from the 20+ tables in SQL. I am looking to improve the time required to view different queries that are performed. By relating the tables in SQL, will the queries run faster? If they are to be related, should the relation be setup within SQL?
Thank you for any suggestions.

by "related" you mean using primary and foreign keys, right?

improving the performance of queries does ~not~ depend on whether the tables are related, except coincidentally insofar as the queries might be joining the tables on the key columns, and key columns are indexed

it is the indexes that improve performance, not the keys

keys are used to ensure data integrity, i.e. to prevent invalid key values from existing in your database

yes, you should relate your tables, and yes, this is done using SQL

r937.com | rudy.ca
Buy my new book Simply SQL from Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back