Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Boot = Bad Mappings; Logoff-Login = Good Mappings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnfrani

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have XPpro on my workstation and our domain controller is a Win 2003 server.

When I cold boot my computer and login, my home directory is mapped to the wrong drive.

Once I have booted, logged in, and got the wrong drive map to my home directory, I logoff and login again (without re-booting) and I get the correct mapping to my home directory.

How can I fix this?

Thanks
John

how is the home directory mapped?
when you say you get the wrong drive mapping what do you mean by that? is it the wrong drive letter? is it mapped to the wrong server?? or both, was there a process which used to be responsible for mapping them to the wrong place? what has happened to the wrong place? have you recently moved servers or something?

Thanks for responding, MrMovie.

>how is the home directory mapped?
There is a login script on our Domain Controller

net use g: \\sfpdab.local\root\Data /Persistent:no
net use H: /H /Persistent:no
net use I: \\sfpdab.local\root\Apps /Persistent:no

>when you say you get the wrong drive mapping what do you mean by that?

H: is supposed to be mapped to sfpdab.local\root\users\myloginname

H: get incorrectly mapped to sfpdab.local\root

>is it the wrong drive letter?, is it mapped to the wrong server?
No, it maps the right drive letter (H:) but to the wrong location on the right server.

>was there a process which used to be responsible for mapping them to the wrong place?
No, H: has neve been anything other than the drive that was mapped to the user's home directory.

>what has happened to the wrong place? have you recently moved servers or something?
No, it's the same server.

After I login, it takes a long time (1.5 minutes) to "completing computer settings" before it starts "completing personal settings" (15 sec) before I get the Desktop. Once I get the Desktop and can open My Computer, I may not see any drive mappings for another 1 minute.

Thanks
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back