Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Colarado BackUp for Bindery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdnaf

MIS
Feb 23, 2001
GB
We are a maintaining several networks at a High School, one of which is using a Netware 3.12 server for transfer of data files to a mainframe. Currently we are using Arcserve to backup the data files and the bindery but we would like to transfer this to a Netware 5 server. We have a spare HP Colarado 20GB tape drive which has in the past backed up Windows based data. The software doesn't mention Netware or bindery so I imagine it is Windows specific. Is there any alternative (cheap!) software that will work with the hardware and backup the bindery?

I don't think you can backup Novell with Colarado tape drives, but I'm not certain

werdnaf,

Is your tape drive a SCSI drive located in the server, or is it in a workstation? If it's a server based drive, you can use either BackupExec, or an upgrade to ArcServe, or a $315 product called NovaStor

(
I haven't used it personally, but I've heard good things about it. Also, you could try using SMS that ships with NetWare 5, but I have found it to be unreliable and not very flexible.

(by the way, Novell doesn't use the Bindery in NetWare 4.x or 5.x, the moved to a directory that they call NDS)

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back