Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CognosScript Editor--> export imr to txt results in large (wide)column

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanHumanitas

Technical User
Feb 14, 2008
NL
Hello,

I used the following Cognos Script to export a imr to a txt-file.
Rep.ExportText "C:\***\***\***.txt"

The resulting txt-file consists of 2 columns. The first column (name) is large, say 90 characters. Most names are 30 characters or less..

These 60 empty characters are gererated in the txt-file. How can I define a maximum number of characters in this column? Or is there a way to define a position where the second column can start?

Thanx!
Jan

Jan,
For txt format output, the characteristic of the data field determines the length. So, in your case, the first field is probably CHAR(90) in the database. You could use the LEFT command to trim the field down.

soi la, soi carré

Ok, that's a possibility. But I'd rather not redefine database fields. Isn't there a solution in the script editor? Defining a column start position in the txt file?

I meant use the LEFT command in the Impromptu report so that the output is reduced in width.

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back