Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos8 - calculating Totals of the Subtotals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosti

Programmer
Mar 5, 2002
US
Greetings all! Please help!

Here is the issue:
I need to calculate a Total for the department based on the Subtotals for each Course_Group from within this department. I do not need to total every single line - just those subtotals of each Course_Group!
I hope this is not confusing!

P.S. Tried a RUNNING_TOTAL function - dos not work!

Thanks for all the help!

I'm afraid this is confusing!
What's the difference between a total for the department and a total for the department's course_groups? Are some detail lines lacking a course_group and therefore not to be included in the department total? If that's the case add a data item...

if ([course_group] is missing) then (0) else ([measure])

...using whatever measure you are reporting, and total that data item for the department.

Thanks for the answer!
I will try to clarify:
The subtotals (for the Course_Groups) are calculated based on the different formula (instead just totaling the detail (row) data).
Hovewer, fot the department total, I need to add the results located in each Course_Groups cell (instead of adding each row's data!)

Still not clicking for me, did my suggestion help?
If you have a "different formula" for subgroups, wouldn't your report total just use the data item which contains that formula?

I just realized from the subject that this is Cognos 8 you're talking about (big dope slap to me) and I'm guessing your running off a DMR or cube datasource? If that's the case disregard all I've said, I have no C8 experience and will shut up now.

You have to experiment with the different aggregate properties in the data item. You will get different results for totals with these set differently. Also, you can delete the rows of subtotals for specific groups if you want to just click on it and delete. Also, in the page properties, check out the group property. It does sound like all you need to do is delete the totaling row for that specific group that you don't want to see.

When life hands you lemons, ask for Tequila and Salt.

CP [cook]

in impromptu report.. you can do this by associating the field to a certain and based the total from there..

click the data that holds the total, click edit definition and look for the Association portion, its a dropdown of all the fields in the report, then select the field where you want to based your total and then run the report again.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back