Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos Noticecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

thasini

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
US

hello,

i understand that cognos noticecast can be used by end-users to create their own rules if they are using powerplay or cognos query.

can someone tell me what the limitiations are? can someone tell me when the noticecast authoring tool would be used.

thanks,
thasini

I played around with NoticeCast (NC) almost a year ago. Yes, you can setup rules with Powerplay (and I guess Query) as well as with the NC Authoring tool.

You can think of the two methods in two ways:

1) End-Users: use Powerplay via upfront to create Agents that will alert them whenever a certain condition (rule) applies. The limitations are stated in your question... that an administrator must create the powerplay cube in order for the end-user to create Agents. (forgive me if my usage of Agents is incorrect -- I used to use MicroStrategy tools.)

2) NC Authoring tool is more for Administrators. Among it's advantages:
a) one can setup the alert to go to any amount of users that can be setup in the authoring tool. (Resicpients do not have to be already setup with e-mail addressed in Access Manager)
b) Rules are created directly from the database rather than a cube.
c) it also supposedly allows "event-driven" Alerts, however I think this is a misnomer.

These are just some explanations that I thought off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

gasman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back