Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cognos Impromptu 7 MR2 install problems - urgent 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

saira78

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
CA
Previously, I had Impromptu Administrator Version 6.0 installed and then without uninstalling it, I installed Cognos Impromptu Administrator Series 7 MR2.

Now when I try to open a new report (File-->New) it says Folder Does Not Exist, then after I click OK, it tells me that the Impromptu User Workspace does not exist and that it may cause problems, then it says Folder C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\User Workspace does not exist. And then it won't open up a new report for me.

But it DOES exist and I checked directory permissions :) I don't know what to check or where. I checked in IMPROMPTU.INI:

[Default Directories]
temporary data path=C:\CognosData
catalog path=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\samples\Impromptu\reports
report path=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\samples\Impromptu\reports
User Templates Path=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\User Workspace
Workgroup Templates Path=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\User Workspace
Default Template=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\samples\Impromptu\templates\standard\Simple List.imt
Cognos Query logfile location=C:\CognosData

Cer2.ini:

[Services]
COGNLSTAB=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\coglang.tab
SRVCMSGS=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\srvcmsgs_en.msg
TEMPFILEDIRS=C:\CognosData
[Location]
Install Location=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin
Rendition Base Location=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2
Common Logon Location=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\..\CommonLogon\bin
Documentation Location=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\Documentation
Samples Location=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2
Tour Location=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\Tour
ObjectStore Location=C:\ODI
[Cognos Locations]
Impromptu 7.0=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin
Portfolio 7.0=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin
[ODBC]
ODBCLOG=C:\Backup\IMPTRACE.LOG

Saira

You need to open up Cognos Configuration manager and validate and apply the configuration for user workspace under Impromptu administrator.

I had this exact problem. You do need to open the configuration manager and set the default file locations there. Make sure you validate and apply the settings.

For more information see Cognos Support Document 114405 or search the Cognos knowledge base for the error message.

Good luck.

Pat B

Hi
Add the following line in your cer2.ini
Impromptu Workspace 7.0=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\User Workspace

as shown below will solve your problems

[Cognos Locations]
Impromptu 7.0=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin
Impromptu Workspace 7.0=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin\User Workspace
Portfolio 7.0=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\bin

save the cer2.ini file, close the impromptu and start again.

Uma Mahesh

Saira,
did u try this?
Tools > Options > File Locations Tab
In this u can change the default file location.

Prasad
RPrasad1@Chn.Cognizant.com

Does this imply that I can have 6 and 7 running on the same server until I have migrated all of my catalogs/reports/cubes/etc?

Thanks for your suggestions. I am hesitant about installing this on our W2K server :)

Just an FYI - installed Impromptu Administrator Version 7.1.339.0, and all of this is correct EXCEPT that you must point everything to cer3, NOT cer2. Also, make sure that you are pressing the validate and apply buttons in the Configuration manager; if you are not, you are not really applying the changes.

The way I fixed this error (for 7.0) was editing cer2.ini located in c:\program files\cognos\cer2\bin\ and made the entry under [Cognos Locations]...

Impromptu Workspace 7.0=C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer2\samples\Impromptu\templates

I solved the problem by switching to Crystal Reports Enterprise.

Pat B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back