Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cognos 8 installation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanir

MIS
Jun 16, 2006
US
Hi:

I'm trying to install Cognos 8 on a windows 2000 box with MS SQL 2000. TCP/IP is enabled in the SQL server. However, the issetup.exe doesnt see the SQL d/b. The cm db in SQL has no user tables at the end of the install.

Is there anything that i'm missing. are there any config files that should be changed to make the installer see the SQL db ??

Thanks in advance.

Could you doublecheck that mixed mode validation is active?
(a default next, next, next install of sql server only enables NT validation)
Rightclick the server in the enterprise manager and check the security tab.

Stefan

Hi Stefan:

Mixed mode is enabled in the SQL server. I have installed abt 2-3 times and the cm db still has only system tables. Is there a way to restore the content database? also, is there some script file that i can run from SQL query builder to create the missing tables in the content database.

Thanks in advance.

The server uses jdbc to communicate with the sql server database. This jdbc driver is included with mdac, which is included with the OS.

Anything usefull in the cogserver.log about this? (cognos\c8\logs)

Stefan

i don't think your idea of "restoring a content store db" and then pointing to it is a particularly good idea.

As a test, put in a username/password of a user who has admin priveleges on the content store db in cognos configuration. in case the user you are using to connect does not have sufficient priveleges, there will be problems. i beileve they need to be able to create/drop tables, stored procs etc. so try with an administrator and see if you have the same problem.

The other thought that springs to mind is that you need to be on a patched version of SQL Server 2000. SP3 or SP4 should be fine. If you're on an earlier version, it isn't going to work.

Regards,

MF.

yes good point mfgf. sp3a is the minimum requirement.

what else springs to mind is that the error you are running into may be before the time comes to create the tables. for example, if you tomcat is not starting up. if you have a conflict in ports, for example, you will not be able to start.
if you have your dispatcher memory set too high, same thing.

try to set up with a small configuration, and change the ports. what are the reuslts? also, if you have turned off anonymous access and there is a problem with the configuration of the security namespace, you may run into this issue. so that is another thing you can try - turn on anonymous.

leave these basic settings until you are sure you are able to make the connection to the content store. once that is done, you can configure eveyrthing you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back