Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cofiguring 2 nics to use Internet and Network into the same server

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSWA

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2001
PA
Hello, I am new using Windows 2000 Server. My experience is in Novell.
I went to Win2k Server courses and I have some questions about Configurations. First, I am going to explain the Win2k Configuration.

1. Server: Dell with XEON 1.8GHZ
2. OS: Win2k Server
3. Users OS:WinXP/Win98
4. NIC: Intel Pro
5. DNS, DHCP and Active Directory Active.
6. Internet Access Via FRAME RELAY(Second Site not connected wit the server)
7. The Frame Relay cable is conected to Fast Ethernet Switch
8. The server is conected to the same Fast Ethernet Swith used by Frame Relay and it use the Ip's from ISP(DNS, IP, etc.)

Now, I need some help in the following Steps:
1. Configure the server to use 2 NICS(No. 1 for Internet, No.2 for the Network, NIC were succesfully Installed and the server configured with the new IP without problem)
2. Every 4 or 5 days the server begin tp work slow and I shutdown and it work normally after that. What is the problem(internet and network into the same Switch).
3. I Installed another NIC for the Network, I configure the NIC with this values:
IP:192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.2
I Configure DHCP SCOPE with the new Ip's. When I turn on the PC, it received the Config from the DHCP Server, I Tried to access Internet and I received error opening Internet pages or sites.
4. I have 2 sites conected using the Frame Relay and I need to connect both to access the server. The second Frame Relay have differents IP's gived by ISP, but the DNS is the same.
5. My question, What is the best way to configure the server using 2 Nics, 1 for Internet the other for the Network.(A friend have this config. using Linux and he connect the Frame Relay cable to the 1 NIC and the second is used for the Network).

I tried to explain the scenario, any help is good for me.

Sorry for my english.

Best regards from Panama,

Marlon

What are the errors, and what does ipconfig /all show? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Action is the proper fruit of knowledge."
Thomas Fuller (1610-1661); English scholar, preacher

These is the summary procedure of what you're trying to accomplish. Connect directly nic1 to frame relay using cross cable. Nic2 to the HUB. Make sure your DNS server is not the root so you can use forwarders. Configure NAT, then configure DHCP to offer the AD integrated DNS only. ISP dns will be taken care by the DNS forwarders.

If you need further info, ASK specifically:) Goodluck.

Well,... indeed where is the question?

Few guides:
First you have to decide what services you need on your network. That's why you have that network. You don't need 3 network ccards if the technical/business reasons is not require it.
So, let's suppose that you need Internet access. How can this be accomplished? What are the requirements?
Your clients what servcies will they expect? Internet access? File and print sharing? Applications?
Are clients that will access the company network remote? VPN? RAS?
Try to put this on a paper, and answer to them.
It will make you see the answers, or at least pointing to questions.
For more informations have a look also on my site. There are some articles about DNS, NAT, Proxy.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Thanks a lot for your response. I am going to Take pen and paper and design my requirements for this configuration.

Best regards from Panama,

Marlon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back