Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coding for 3hours and then losing all then info

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellyjm

Programmer
Apr 13, 2000
JM
VB6 crashed on me today. After coding from 3pm to 6:20pm all my work is gone and I have a deadline for tomorrow morning.

Guys don't let this happen. Please do the
Tools-->Options-->Environment and select When a program starts : Save changes.

Delton. [sig][/sig]

I make it a habit to Alt-F-S & Alt-F-V quite often. It takes about 2 seconds and I haven't lost more than a few lines of code due to a crash. [sig][/sig]

When doing webprogramming, I often save all the time, not just out of habit, but because I would have to in order to debug/test the page each time I make a change in Interdev, but I understand the fustration, happened to me one time losing near a day's work on a VC++ ActiveX DLL for a VPN network that had a deadline of 2 days from then. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

and what did grandmother always tell us children to do or the bogey-man would get us ???

BACKUP BACKUP BACUP

believe me - i am not smug about this as i have learned the REALLY hard way - i now back up every 1-2 hours in addition hitting the SAVE button. i can then roll back to previous versions very easily. no doubt ill get caught again.

the worse one was several years ago, when i asked a dba to retrieve a file from a backup tape only to find that all tapes for 1.5 years were blanked ! the dba had not tested backups or recovery ... Best of Irish Luck, David.
djwilkes@hotmail.com

We've all heard the stories... how about the engineer who scheduled automatic backups every night. He was quite upset when he lost his hard drive and discovered that his backup tape had been write-protected for more than a month.

LOL... (Really not laughing too hard. It could happen to me some day.)
VCA.gif

Karl, some of us need a little assistance. Why don't you create a persistent reminder?

In VB I would create a form with a timer control. Set the Visible property on the form to False and set the timer Interval property to 30000, then...
[tt]
Private Static Sub Timer1_Timer()
Cnt = Cnt + 1
If Cnt = 10 Then
x = MsgBox(&quot;Remember to save your work!&quot;, vbExclamation, &quot;Don't Risk It!&quot;)
Cnt = 0
End If
End Sub
[/tt]

This little app will remind you to save your work every five minutes. It could be a royal pain after several hours of coding but I don't doubt that you will have clicked &quot;Save&quot; many times during that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back