Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code won't work with subform

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulfImages

Technical User
Jul 9, 2004
US
Hello All,

I have this bit of code that was derived from a lot of help here (Thanks AceMan1) and it works great on a main form but for some reason when I try to run it from a button on a main form, for data in a subform I get a Compile Error: Expected Function or Variable. When I compile the code I get no error, only when I try to run it.

I don't know if it's a syntax thing with the subform or what. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Code:
Sub AddNewRecords()

Dim db As DAO.Database, rst As DAO.Recordset, ctl As Control

Dim myform As Form
Set myform = Forms!frmInvoices!ItemsSub.Form

Set db = CurrentDb
   Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblInvoicesItems", DB_OPEN_TABLE)

rst.AddNew
     For Each ctl In myform.Controls
             If ctl.Tag = "D" Then rst(ctl.Name) = ctl
     Next
  rst.Update
  rst.Close

Set rst = Nothing
    Set db = Nothing

End Sub

Hello back,

Where is your sub routine 'AddNewRecords' located? Do you intend for it to be public or private? And how are you calling it?

Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill,

It is a public sub in a module. I have another module that is specific to the form but not a class module to the form. It will do some validation then call this sub. I have my invoice items in a temporary table so I can verify things and such before sending them on to the table. I use all unbound forms.

Thanks.

I've been testing it in the immediate window for now if that matters.

It is good general coding practice to explicitily indicate whether routines are public or private. And since this sub is specific to a particular form/subform, it seems best to keep it in the module of one of these forms.

That aside, I don't see any inherent problem with the code or form reference. The sub should work wherever it is called from. Perhaps place a breakpoint on the button's click event and step through the subsequent code to see where the error arises.

Cheers, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back