Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code to save files

Status
Not open for further replies.

lora

Programmer
Dec 1, 1999
US
Any idea on how to code for file saving...i know this is probably easy but i've never done it!...i need to back up a bunch of files that i am downloading from the mainframe monthly.  i need to create a directory with the months name and save all the files to it...THANKS!

Lora,<br><br>MS Access is NOT the prefered tool for this.&nbsp;&nbsp;Having said it, we can go on to some advice.<br><br>First you need some programatic approach to the identity of the files (all in a specified Directory/Folder or all named like XXYY.ZZZ, or ...).<br><br>Second you need to know where to save the BackUp files.<br><br>Third set up a table with the source and destination information.<br><br>Fourth Create a simple module which reads the source/Dest table on a record by record basis and uses the info to Do the FileCopy, Source, Destination thginnnnggggyyy.<br><br>You may want to add some stuff about the progress, sucess/failure to provide a visible feedback to the user (if it is to be run &quot;manually&quot;), or produce a report of the back up activity when all is done.<br><br>I have done a few versions of this, and usually added a form to add/modify/delete entries in the table so it is usable be a non-programmer.<br><br>Send me an e-mail address and I can send you a small sample data base (.MDB) which does the majority of the above.<br><br>Michael<br><A HREF="mailto:mred@DuvallGroup.Com">mred@DuvallGroup.Com</A><br>

Why not use a simple batch file????&nbsp;&nbsp;You know x.bat?<br>Or d/l WSH (Windows Scripting Host) from Microsoft and use VBA to write it.<br>I fact, my machine came with WSH.<br>Search your drive for *.vbs files.<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br>Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back