Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

code red virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan28

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
GB
My avg anti-virus tells me on start up that I have the code red virus. This is a new computer that I have installed windows 2000 on. It took me a few days to install some anti-virus. I have installed IIS.

My computer simply tells me I have the code red virus and then go’s to a screen with a small picture on it. The computer does not respond after this. How do I fix this? I have searched the Internet for information but can't find any reference to the code red virus causing this to happen. This is my old computer I am using.

The anti-virus software is avg free edition.
The description of what code red does not match what it has done to my system. It started after I downloaded avg, the software me I had the virus and to run avg toget rid of it, but after that my system does not work.

ok uninstall this avg software, i'm not familiar with it, but if this is where your problem stemmed from then get rid of it. Patch IIS on your system and reboot.

MCP

I cant access anything on the computer. I never tried safe mode though. I think I will try that, if not I will need to format the drive.

no , last resort

You can use your older PC to scan the infected disk for viruses,
Download some trial av software from CA . - Try inoculate 7.0 , then down load the latest virus signature file. Now remove the hard disk from the infected PC, set it up a s a slave in your older PC and scan it for viruses. See what you find.

MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back