Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Code Amount Limitation?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyu

Programmer
Nov 21, 2000
CA
Is there a maximum amount of code that one form will take? From time to time we run into problems where it seems that if we add anymore code into a form, then the functionality does not work properly anymore. I mean, we weren't even able to add a breakpoint in the ObjectPAL code without us having to comment out patches of code....

I am using Paradox 5.0. Appreciate some feedback.,
troyu

Yes there is a maximim amount of code for a form.
I'm not sure what that amount is, but is sounds like you have reached it. Try not to duplicate code. Try creating some custom methods. When you call them you are only using the name. The code stays in the library.

troyu,

As bayBell noted, Paradox 5.0 forms are limited to 64K total codes size, however, there are other limited your likely to run into first. You're also limited to 32K characters in any single method and 64KB total symbol space. I believe these limitations are disccused in the README.TXT file.

Please note that many of these restrictions were due to limits in 16-bit Windows; most of them have been relaxed in 32-bit versions of Paradox.

First off, see if you're compiling with warning enabled. If so, you *might* be able to squeeze a few more bytes into the form by turning that off and resaving your form.

However, your best best is to start moving some of that code into libraries, as that will free up some needed space and help you consolidate your routines so that can be shared between forms.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back